Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Trust vs. Uncertainty

Recently while out with friends something jumped into my head. The situation is this. I recently began dating a new girl, who is great. She had planned to come out with myself and some friends that evening but she had promised an old friend that should would go out and get a drink with them before hand. Almost instantly I became curious as to whom she was going out with. Yes, to most that seems like a rational first thought, but to me it wasn't. I almost felt a bit jealous simply because I didn't know who she was going out with. With girls I had been dating in the past, I had never even though twice about such a thing. I didn't care in the slightest, however this time I did. Why?
Well i came up with two ideas as to why.
1. After my last few longer last relationships (5+ months) I was the person who was (in the end) broken up with. Either because the Ex wanted to see someone else, she cheated, or apparently just because. Have I overtime just become less trusting of women and not noticed it? I don't really think so, but perhaps.
2. In my last longer lasting relationships there wasn't much I had to do to be with these women. They showed a very strong interest in dating me. I didn't need to do much 'courting' I was very sure that they all definitely wanted to be with me, however with my current girl friend I was strongly pursuing her. She was much less forward in the whole ordeal than past girls. My guess is that because I'm less sure about how much she really wants to be with me that I'm much more cautious about things she's doing without me.
So what did I do when she went out? Nothing. I asked no questions, as to whom she was with or what she was doing. Regardless she ended up telling me about her evening. Turns out it wasn't a big deal at all. She went out to see an old friend from high school who was back in town for the holidays and had a drink then came out to me with me and some other friends. Hopefully, in the future I don't get these thoughts, and if I do, I should put them to rest based on what happened this time.

No comments: